A man has been jailed for murder after a petty row escalated to a fatal stabbing.

Kwabena Boateng, 21 (17.07.01) of Dod Street, E14, appeared at Snaresbrook Crown Court on Wednesday, 3 August where he was sentenced to life imprisonment – to serve a minimum of 22 years for the murder of 33-year-old Mohammed Ensser on the Isle of Dogs last year. He was also convicted of possession of a knife.

Boateng had previously been convicted at the same court on Friday, 29 July.

Police were called at 20: 26hrs on Tuesday, 21 September to East Ferry Road, E14 following reports of a fight.

Officers responded and found Mohamed Ensser suffering from multiple stab injuries.

Officers administered CPR prior to the arrival of London Ambulance Service (LAS) paramedics but despite their best efforts Mohamed, who was from Leyton, was pronounced dead at the scene at 20: 52hrs.

A post-mortem examination held later found the cause of death to have been hypovolemic shock caused by a knife wound to the neck.

Detectives from Specialist Crime launched an urgent investigation to establish what had happened.

Their enquiries revealed that Mohamed had spent the evening in Stamford Hill with a friend before getting a cab to the Isle of Dogs.

Boateng and two associates had arrived at the location on bicycles a few minutes earlier. Boateng came out of a newsagent and saw Mohamed and an argument began almost immediately in which he accused Mohamed of owing him money for drugs.

Words were exchanged and Boateng then pulled a large knife from his waistband. In desperation Mohamed armed himself with a discarded toaster in an attempt to defend himself. He also urged him to put the knife down.

However Boateng began repeatedly swinging at and chasing Mohamed, who soon tripped and fell between two cars.

Witnesses described a horrific sight as Boateng stood over Mohamed as he lay on the floor before plunging the knife into him.

Several people ran from their homes to try to help Mohamed. He was heard to say ‘I’m going to die’ before he collapsed.

After the stabbing Boateng got on his bicycle and rode away, followed by his associates.

Boateng was arrested on 11 November 2021 by police who found him hiding under a bed at an address in Stewart Street on the Isle of Dogs. He made no comment during police interview.

CCTV, witnesses, forensics and telephone data were all gathered by police as part of the investigation.

Detective Chief Inspector Larry Smith said: “Our thoughts are with Mohamed’s family. While I hope they can see that justice has been done, I understand the enormity of their grief in such a senseless loss.

“Mohamed was not armed. He urged Boateng to settle things fairly if they must, but Boateng was ruthless and attacked without mercy. This was an assault carried out in full view of several bystanders and people watching from the windows of their homes.

“The argument was petty, involving an alleged drugs debt, and Boateng saw fit that they only way it could be resolved was with serious violence.

“This conviction highlights what anyone involved in senseless violence can expect; we will investigate, we will identify those involved and you will go to prison.”