A man who raped and assaulted a woman has been sentenced to 12 years in jail.
Ashley James Barton, 39 [27.6.83] of Bute Gardens, W6 appeared at Isleworth Crown Court on Thursday, 28 July where he was sentenced for two counts of rape and one count of assault by beating.
Barton was also made subject to a Sexual Harm Prevention Order [SHPO] and one of the conditions of this is that he has to inform the police of any intimate relationships he enters into. There is no expiry on this. He was also placed on the Sex Offenders Register for life.
Barton was originally tried for these matters in November 2021, but the jury were unable to reach a verdict on the rape offences. He was, however, convicted of assault by beating.
The offences were committed in 2020 and 2021 against a woman in her 30s.
On Tuesday, 17 May 2022, following a retrial, he was found guilty of two counts of rape and was subsequently sentenced as above.
The offences took place in late 2020, when Barton punched the woman in the face for no reason which resulted in a black eye. In early 2021, he raped her. The victim told the court that she feared for her life throughout.
At no point has Barton shown any remorse for his actions and in fact, on several occasions when giving his evidence in court, referred to himself as the victim.
He claimed that the allegations were lies being told by the victim.
On sentencing, HHJ Duncan said: “You did not care how much you were hurting her. You have always maintained an account that she [the victim] was lying and unstable. You portray yourself as a ‘knight in shining armour’ but with the complainant you did your best to undermine her at every opportunity.
“You gas-lighted and insulted her and her self-confidence is in tatters because of you. You are manipulative and lack insight both then and now. You display an entrenched form of misogyny in your past and in your current behaviour. You show a pattern of behaviour which is deeply disturbing. You have shown no acceptance of responsibility which is of deep concern. There is a significant risk of you committing further offences against women.”
Detective Constable Chris Willey of the Central West Rape and Serious Sexual Offences (RASSO) unit based at Charing Cross Police Station said: “Barton is a dangerous serial offender who has previously been convicted on multiple occasions of violently assaulting women.
“His criminal behaviour has escalated over time with the physical assaults becoming more frequent and violent eventually leading to him committing the rapes against the victim in this case. He is a very violent man who directs his anger at women when they are at their most vulnerable.
“It is completely right that he has been given a long custodial sentence during which he will not have the opportunity to victimise women again.
“On release his ability to offend will be severely hampered due to the Sexual Harm Prevention Order that has also been imposed on him.
“The bravery of the victim in this case has been outstanding. She has, unfortunately, had to relive her trauma twice in court and the courage it takes to do this cannot be understated. I hope that she can find some closure and make a fresh start now that proceedings have concluded. We will continue to support her in any way that we can.”
PC Sol Bhugaloo, who supported the victim throughout the investigation, said: “It is my sincere hope that the bravery shown by the victim in this case will encourage all victims of sexual violence of any kind to speak to us.
“You will receive dedicated support from specially trained officers such as myself, you will be listened to and you will be heard.”